The Elephant Camp furthers efforts & aims for Top Sustainable Tourism Award.
The Elephant Camp has recently been invited, with other leading hospitality establishments in Victoria Falls, to spearhead a new project in Zimbabwe. This is to be part of Green Tourism, the largest and most established sustainable certification programme in the world, with the aim of achieving one of their respected awards.
A Green Tourism Award means that a business works responsibly, ethically and sustainably; contributes to their community; reduces their impact on the environment and aims to be accessible and inclusive to all. Businesses that meet the required standard receive a Bronze, Silver or Gold award.
- Solar Heating: All of our water heating systems are either solar or currently in the process of being converted to solar.
- Worm Farm: All plant waste from The Elephant Camp, as well as most elephant dung from our resident herd, is fed into our worm farm, creating valuable compost for use in our organic vegetable garden.
- Organic Garden: In order to supply as much organic produce to our guests as possible The Elephant Camp produces much of its own herbs, spices and vegetables for use in our kitchens.
- Indigenous Tree Planting Program: To rehabilitate areas that were once denuded of trees by uncontrolled wood collection, we created an indigenous tree nursery. Trees are grown from seed and are transplanted once established, into areas in need of rehabilitation.
- Biological Monitoring and Erosion Control: The Elephant Camp employs a qualified Environmental Officer to monitor the biology of the reserve and assists with mitigation. Bi-annual biological surveys are conducted, alien vegetation is eradicated and soil erosion is carefully managed in the reserve and on neighbouring communal areas.
- Community Relations: We make every effort to employ staff from neighbouring areas, and work closely with the community on projects such as transporting thatch from neighbouring areas annually for roofing of homes in neighbouring areas annually for roofing of homes.
- Education: The Elephant Camp frequently hosts school children on educational trips, teaching them about and allowing them to experience, the beautiful natural environment and the threats that face it today.
The Elephant Camp will be graded on-site by a qualified team of assessors against a rigorous set of criteria, covering a range of areas such as energy/water efficiency, waste management, biodiversity, social involvement and communication.
Craig White, Operations Director said:
“Wild Horizons pride ourselves on being driven by a team that is passionate about our environment, and fully committed to sustainable environmental practices. The inclusion in Green Tourism is an exciting development to our business, as The Elephant Camp strives to be a leader in sustainable tourism practices. Whilst we have come a long way on our own initiatives, the inclusion in such a prestigious body gives us a host of new challenges which we are determined to meet in our quest to reach Gold Standard status.
It is also extremely exciting on a National level, to see that Zimbabwean Tourism has evolved to the stage where international bodies such as Green Tourism are keen to establish a foothold in the country. This inevitably encourages local companies to strive toward sustainable environmental practices. International travellers are seeking out establishments that practise environmentally sustainable tourism. This naturally encourages operators to look closely at their businesses from an environmental perspective, or risk being left behind as tourists become more discerning in their holiday choices.”
About The Elephant Camp
The Elephant Camp is a luxurious and intimate lodge under canvas within easy reach of Victoria Falls. Situated on a private concession with breathtaking views of the Victoria Falls’ spray, and the spectacular gorges which separate Zimbabwe from Zambia. We also cater to exclusive groups and families at The Elephant Camp West, which has exclusive suite accommodation for 8 guests in 4 luxury tents.
About Green Tourism
Green Tourism awards recognise places to visit that are taking action to support the local area and the environment in general. Green Tourism is the largest sustainable certification programme of its kind, assessing hundreds of fantastic places to stay and visit worldwide, with Zimbabwe being the latest addition to their portfolio.
A Christmas Story To Inspire Your Next Safari
Victoria Falls is filled with natural wonders, From lunar rainbows to The Smoke That Thunders. The waterfall transforms a ripple into a rapid And clouds bloom in tune with each cascading ballad. But before reaching the Gorge, the Zambezi first sees A beautiful lodge,...
Old Drift’s Recipe For The Perfect Sundowner
Crispy Chicken WingsSundowners are a time-honoured tradition within the safari industry and we take our evening ritual very seriously at Old Drift Lodge. We're going to share our recipe for one of the best sundowner snacks - Glazed Chicken Wings.Servings 6Ready In: 45...
Telephone: +263 83 28 42279, +263 83 28 44426, +263 83 28 42001,
Mobile: +263 782 745111
Watch A Video
Connect with Us